Monday, December 30, 2013

Toned-Down Drama

I remember he said to me more than once that there was the danger of being overwhelmed by a style element so I had to be careful with it. Like big round buttons. He said they create polka dots, which are a no-no and might be overwhelming, unless they are modified in some way. He said how but I can't remember. I think the modifications would stop the eye & prevent an overall polka-dot look. 

Told me the same thing about growing out my hair. Can go to my chin but not to my shoulders. That would overwhelm me and I would be lost in it all.

He emphasized that it was important to balance being slightly theatrical (used the word "costume," too) with me showing through it all. Like I have to make sure I don't get lost in it. 

Another example: I asked if I could create faerie outfits. Said I didn't know if I'd ever dare but I was already wearing striped socks that were a different color than my pants which were a different color... you get the idea. He said, of course that would appeal to me. 

But tie it all together. Bring the other color up. So feel the impulse but soften the outcome? Something like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment